By Shravanth Vijayakumar Arsenal’s drive to win the Champions League is “immense” after their painful early exits in the past few seasons, manager Arsene Wenger has said.The Premier League club are one of the most successful in England but have never managed to add the Champions League trophy to their cabinet.The closest they came to winning the most prestigious club tournament in Europe was in the 2005-06 season, when they lost 2-1 to Barcelona in the finals.“This drive (to win the competition) is immense. It has never been done at Arsenal and we were very, very, very, close,” Wenger told reporters.“On the other hand, I have been long enough in the job to know you have to be realistic and know that you have to put hard work in,” the 65-year-old Frenchman added.The Gunners were favourites in their round of 16 tie against Ligue 1 side Monaco last season, but were knocked out by the away goals rule after an aggregate score of 3-3.Wenger wants his side to show they have learnt from their mistakes.“If we missed one game last year, then it was our home game with Monaco. We were not patient enough and we wanted to make the difference in the first game,” Wenger said.“We know we have some way to put that right, that is a regret of the season last year. We know as well that we can show that we have learnt from that.”Arsenal have to play four away games over the next few weeks, including kicking off their Champions League campaign when they travel to Croatia to face Dinamo Zagreb on Wednesday.“It is more the global programme we have to absorb in the next three weeks, rather than one game,” Wenger said.“I know the same team cannot play every single game over the next three weeks. I try to keep the balance right and give a little breather to players who need it.”
The 26-year-old Stokes, England’s vice captain and one of their most important players, was suspended after he and teammate Alex Hales were arrested following a punch-up outside a Bristol nightclub last month and released under investigation.Pace bowler Steven Finn has been added to the Ashes squad and will travel to Australia with the rest of the team on October 28, the ECB said in a statement on its website.The ECB said no final decision had been made on Stokes’ participation in the Test series in Australia.The five-Test series starts in Brisbane on November 23.The Bristol street brawl was captured on camera and left a man hospitalised with facial injuries, just hours after Stokes played in England’s ODI victory over the West Indies at the Bristol Cricket Ground.The Sun newspaper published footage of what it said was a brawl between Stokes and two other people, one clutching a bottle.Should Stokes definitively be ruled out of the tour, it would be a huge blow for England whose chances of defending the Ashes in Australia have already been called into question.The hosts whitewashed England 5-0 in the last Ashes in Australia in 2013-14, and several pundits have said the tourists have next to no chance without Stokes in their ranks.”They can’t win without him for a number of reasons,” Former Australia captain Ian Chappell told Sydney’s Daily Telegraph.”Obviously his ability is the main thing, but also he’s a match-winning player, and those sort of players drag the rest along with them and make them better.”He’s probably one of those players inspired by playing against the better teams, and again that has a flow-on effect to the fellas that don’t have that sort of confidence. I don’t think they’ve got a hope in hell without him.”While the Australian side may consider the suspension of Stokes a significant boost to their chances, former captain Allan Border believes the series would be spoiled without the firebrand all-rounder.”He is one of those cricketers you would go to watch play,” Border said.”He’s just got something about him, the aggressive nature of his cricket is exciting and it would be a real blow if he doesn’t come.”Reuters
There was an outpouring of grief across Canada at news of the collision between a bus carrying a junior ice hockey team and a semi-trailer.The Humboldt Broncos team, which has members aged between 16 and 21, were en route on Friday to a play-off game.At least 15 people have been confirmed dead in the crash.Details have been slow to trickle out in the wake of the tragedy, and the identities of the deceased have not yet been released by authorities.Tom Straschnitzki said his son Ryan is in hospital in Saskatoon with a serious back injury, and told his father that he can’t feel his legs.The family flew to his bedside on Saturday to be with him.”He keeps asking about his team and coaches. I say: I don’t know son,” he told the BBC from his home in Airdrie, Alberta.Mr Trudeau said in a statement that “our national hockey family is a close one, with roots in almost every town – small and big – across Canada”.He has received calls of condolences from other world leaders, including US President Donald Trump.What is known about the crash?The lorry and bus collided on Friday at around 17:00 local time (23:00 GMT) on Highway 35, north of Tisdale.The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said 29 people including the driver were on the bus at the time, and that15 people were killed.The other 15 passengers have been taken to hospital. Two remain in critical condition.The lorry driver was not injured in the collision.Police said on Saturday they have yet to determine the cause of the crash.Myles Shumlanski, father of one of the Broncos players, described the scene as a “disaster” to the Saskatoon Star Phoenix paper. “We had a crane lifting the bus,” he said.It is not yet known who has died. There were ice hockey coaches on the bus in addition to team members.Photographs on social media showed several of the players comforting each other in hospital.(A photo posted to the team’s Twitter feed on 24 March after a play-off win)
The Ministry of Youth and Sports has lifted restrictions on participation of teams in the 2016 Intra-Governmental Tournament but still excluded volleyball.The MYS has written 34 governmental institutions for the tournament to involve football and kickball.It may be recalled that in the 2015 Intra-Governmental Tournament, the MYS radically reduced participating teams from 22 to eight in each discipline and dropped volleyball.MYS said the eight public institutions which reached the quarterfinals in the 2014 Intra-Governmental Tournament in the football and kickball editions were automatically qualified to participate in the 2015 Special Intra-Governmental Tournament in celebration of the country’s victory over the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).Deputy Sports Minister Henry B. Yonton, Jr. said in an exclusive interview yesterday via mobile phone that registration for the 2016 tournament runs from Tuesday – Friday, March 1 – 11.He said the tourney will kick-off Wednesday, March 23, and will be the first of its kind to be played on three fields, including the Willis Knuckles Sports Stadium (formerly Alpha Field), the BYC’s Blue Field and the Antoinette Tubman Stadium (ATS).Minister Yonton stated that the lack of facilities caused the exclusion of volleyball, while football and kickball are expected to be played at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium (ATS).The multi-purpose SKD Sports Complex where most international games and national games are played is currently under renovation by the People’s Republic of China. The Intra-Governmental League is a tournament that brings together all line ministries, agencies, public corporations and other branches of government together through various sporting disciplines.Deputy Sports Minister Yonton said the low participation of governmental institutions in this year’s tournament is mainly owing to budget cut as well as the lack of sports facilities in the country.“Each institution will pay the amount of US$500 as registration fees,” he said.He said the MYS will seek sponsorship for the three-day tournament and has urged business institutions, like the Liberia Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Club Breweries, GSM and mineral water companies to take advantage to advertise their products.In the 2015 Intra-Governmental Tourney, LBS lifted the football trophy.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Berbice outlet of beverage giant Banks DIH Ltd has recorded a three per cent increase over its 2015 sales.Banks DIH Chairman Clifford ReisSpeaking at the company’s 22nd Annual General Meeting in New Amsterdam, Branch Manager Reginald Matthews said sales hit a record high of $2.6 billion over the last calendar year, as opposed to $2.57 billion achieved in 2015.“This success could not be possible without you, the shareholders; we are truly debuted to you for your worthwhile investment, our customers and consumers who purchased our products your loyalty know no boundaries,” he announced.Meanwhile, Banks Chairman Clifford Reis explained that the Berbice operations sold in excess of 1.6 million cases of beverages.In a lengthy address, the company’s top figure explained that Banks DIH produced the second best Guinness in this part of the world, and has been awarded for producing the 19th best Guinness worldwide.The company has also been producing the best Coca-Cola in Latin and Central America and was recently awarded with the small business trophy for the quality of the beverage. As the company moves forward, the Chairman stressed that the focus would be on building relationships. “Our focus this year will be on networking,” Reis said.The company noted similar shareholder meetings in the Georgetown, Essequibo and Linden on Friday.
1 Christian Benteke Liverpool have moved to fight off Manchester United’s interest in Christian Benteke by agreeing to meet the Aston Villa striker’s £32.5million release clause.And the Drivetime boys need your views…
Former England defender Stuart Pearce has praised Patrick Bamford’s ‘sensible’ decision to cut short his loan spell with Crystal Palace.The Chelsea striker agreed a temporary move to Selhurst Park initally for the entirety of the 2015/16 season in the summer, but wasn’t granted a single Premier League start by Alan Pardew and duly failed to score for the Eagles.The 22-year-old announced he would return to Chelsea after the 0-0 draw with Swansea yesterday, describing his time at Palace as ‘terrible’, in a bid to seek more regular game time.Bamford, who scored 19 goals on loan at Middlesbrough the previous season, has come in for scrutiny for his decision but Pearce insists the forward had every right to do what he did.“I think it’s a sensible decision by him not to stay at Palace for the rest of the season doing what he’s doing,” Pearce told the Colin Murray show.“This move for him, from what I’m seeing and from the amount of minutes he’s playing, has not been a good move.”Bamford has expressed his desire to remain in the Premier League but Pearce claims there would be no shortage of suitors lining up for his signature in the Championship too.He added: “I would think he would be loaned out somewhere else to the Championship and have another six months there again.“There would be a whole queue of about 16, 18, 20 teams that would take Bamford.”
Coral’s Dave Stevens joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.England continue their World Cup qualification campaign at Slovenia on Tuesday and will surely in for a toughest test than minnow Malta, although a 2-0 win left fans wanting.Nevertheless, the Three Lions are odds on at 8/13 to win the away clash, with Gareth Southgate’s side 8/1 favourites to win what should be a straightforward Group F.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: John Jackson greets a Christmas that he wasn’t sure he’d seeThe city must show steps toward removing blight and providing a minimum number of affordable housing units, said Michael Huntley, director of planning. One of the city’s goals has been the source of controversy for years. Local environmentalists have been pressuring the Hills’ owner, oil giant Plains Exploration & Production Co. (PXP), not to carry through with plans to develop what they say is one of the largest open spaces left in Los Angeles County. The land is also home to the gnatcatcher – a bird that is on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s endangered species list. According to the plan documents, the city will create an “overlay” district in the Hills to allow commercial and housing development. Currently the Hills are zoned for low-density residential. Linda Strong, co-chair of the Save the Montebello Hills Sierra Club Task Force, said using the 480 acres as park space would be more useful to the city than building houses. MONTEBELLO – The Montebello Community Redevelopment Agency board has adopted a 5-year implementation plan detailing the goals for the city’s three redevelopment areas. In a 4-0 vote with one member absent, the board Wednesday approved the 2005-09 plan, which is like a wish list of future and current projects. The Montebello Redevelopment board is comprised of the city’s five City Council members. The wish list includes such proposals as developing the Montebello Hills, creating a mixed-use complex at the site where the Montebello Unified School District offices are located and bringing a supermarket to south Montebello, among others. State law mandates that redevelopment agencies must adopt an implementation plan so the state can determine if a city is meeting all the requirements for its established redevelopment areas. “I just want to say on the record that we object to the PXP plans to develop the Hills,” Strong told the council. “It would be best as a park or nature preserve. Right now there are very few attractions to bring people into Montebello.” But city officials have said repeatedly that the land is privately owned and therefore not under direct city control. Additionally, the Fish and Wildlife Service will make the final decision on how much, if any, of the land PXP can develop in order to protect the gnatcatchers. Another feature of the plan is to create another overlay district in south Montebello that will temporarily change zoning to allow some heavy truck use to continue in the industrial area for another five to 10 years, Huntley said. Twenty years ago the council voted to eliminate all businesses such as truck terminals or storage in the city by 2009 after street damage and traffic became a problem. The overlay district would affect the industrial area near Chapin and Bluff Roads where an old undeclared landfill has left some environmental contaminants in the soil. Two grants from the Environmental Protection Agency have been awarded to the city to study the extent and remediation possibilities of the hazards. Until the area is cleaned up, no new developments or improvements can be undertaken, Huntley said. “Current zoning wouldn’t allow \ after 2009. Before we say we want all those businesses out of the city, we must be cognizant of the impact that will have,” Huntley said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Gary Anderson says winning a third straight PDC World Championship title would be “an astonishing achievement.”The Scot will face Michael Van Gerwen in the competition’s final and is looking to write his name into the history books with another triumph.Anderson made it 17 wins in a row at Alexandra Palace when he beat Peter Wright 6-3 in the other semi-final and he will be looking for a third straight title.Anderson finished with a 103.45 three-dart average, had four ton-plus checkouts and 15 maximums. “I’m just glad to get over the winning line,” he said.“It would be an astonishing achievement. I’m still going and I don’t want to give the title up.”Number one Van Gerwen expects he will have to reproduce the standard used to beat Raymond van Barneveld when he faces Anderson.He told Sky Sports: “What can I say? It was a phenomenal performance from myself but also Raymond made me play this way. I had to bring my A-game if I wanted to win. “Everything is possible for me now. Everyone knows I only have one goal and that’s to hold the trophy in the air. It’s Anderson in the final for me and he’s a very good darts player and I’ll probably have to do the same to beat him.“For the audience and everyone everywhere, in Great Britain and in Holland I think it’s the final to dream of.”